-->

Feb 2, 2009

Love it! - Cell Phones for Soldiers




If you follow Dose of Design, you know I post about humanitarian causes wherever I can. My "Design" blog is of course about the home products market, but also an outlet in which I can bring attention to social causes that I find noteworthy. I had seen the story of Cell Phones for Soldiers on The Oprah Show last year and was very moved by their story. I myself am on my third cell phone and donated my two older phones that were just sitting in a draw. Donated cell phones are sold to a company that recycles them. The money they receive from recycling cell phones is used to purchase calling cards that are sent to troops in need. The phones are sent to ReCellular, which pays Cell Phones for Soldiers for each donated phone – enough to provide an hour of talk time to soldiers abroad. Cell Phones for Soldiers was founded by teenagers Robbie and Brittany Bergquist from Norwell, Mass., with $21 of their own money. Since then, the registered 501c3 non-profit organization has raised almost $2 million in donations and distributed more than 500,000 prepaid calling cards to soldiers serving overseas. You can even print a prepaid label through their website if you don't want to front the shipping cost. I think these two teenage founders are a perfect example of the human spirit and how limitless we are in making a difference in the world. It's a wonderful cause that will hopefully touch you all as well!

www.CellPhonesForSoldiers.com

No comments: